Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tobias Walther

I recently asked Tobias about his series Picking Up the Signals. Here is what he said about it. 
(Ed. for publication by D. DeHart)

The Signal project was work about process. I travelled around Europe and attmepted to find new ways to look at things. It was an exercise, so to speak.  I wanted to interpret objects I found;  to take them away from their obvious visual meaning. I presented the work in a Tillman like wall presentation The presentation/ exhibition format came after I took the pictures. I put the pieces together, as one in a visual poem, that moved away from documentary.

I talked to Alec Soth in Berlin, and showed him my photographs. Picking Up the Signals was his favorite series.
I am currently shooting images here in the area (The Palouse).  I find myself looking for, or capturing things that are moving away from documentary. The work is a place-independent interpretation of landscape and sceneries. It's hard to get away from other visual influences,  and to explore again like a child. Keeping things pure and innocent has always been a philosophy within photographs. 

Tobias Walther is currently in Pullman working on a new photographs. I particularly like his series Picking Up the Signals. If you see him around the WSU Fine Art photo area, say hello. 

Tobias on working with Nick Waplington.

I worked with Nick for a couple months in London. Mostly I was assisting him with taking 8x10 large format photographs for some of his projects in England and printing analogue color photographs in his artist studio. I learned a lot about his ideas, concepts and his work in general whilst handling Waplington´s negatives and prints and spent time with this internationally reknown artist. It gave me a great insight into the art world as well as the daily and professional life of an artist/ photographer. I can only recommend to do an assistantship or an internship with artists and photographers. It is not impossible to reach and communicate with famous or known artists. They are just people too.


Photos and book ©Nick Waplington

No comments:

Post a Comment